Wednesday, April 14, 2010

glazed carrots

Of course by "Glazed" you know I mean "Candied" and by "Candied" you know I mean "Real Good."


I ripped this recipe off from my all-time favorite cookbook: America's Test Kitchen. I have really liked everything I have ever made from this book. The recipes tend to be from scratch and more involved but they always turn out to be so good.

Glazed Carrots

serves 4
start to finish: 20 minutes, FAST!

1 pound carrots, peeled
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter, cut into 4 pieces
(the original recipe also calls for 2 teaspoons lemon juice but we DO NOT like this addition. feel free to try it but why mess up that good sweetness?)

Slice the carrots on the bias. I had 1/2 a bag of baby carrots in the fridge so that's what I used. Also, when I get a great deal on carrots I chop em up like this and freeze them. It makes this go super fast!


Combine the carrots, broth, 1 T of the sugar, and the salt in a large nonstick skillet. The lovely thing about this recipe is that I accidentally threw in all of the sugar at this point and it still turned out delicious. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook covered, stirring occasionally until the carrots are almost tender, about 5 minutes.


Uncover, return to a boil and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced to about 2 T, about 2 minutes.

Stir in the butter and remaining 2 T of sugar. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the carrots are completely tender and the glaze is lightly golden, about 3 minutes. At this point if you want to use the lemon juice, take it off the heat and stir it in. Season with pepper to taste.


These are so yummy! Sam, my 2 year old, does not like cooked carrots ("I don't like it") but he will eat these. They're still not his favorite, but he eats them. That's saying something.

1 comment:

  1. I make something similar that everyone likes when we have a big family get together. Mine is much simpler though. I cut up a bunch of carrots, steam or boil them till almost soft. Drain, pour on a bunch of honey.
    Delicious.

    ReplyDelete