Thursday, May 14, 2009

Menu 5/9

Ok, I'm a day late. Sorry. I'm just slow. 

Menu:
  • Stuffed French Toast from homemade bread (America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, p. 277 & 544), orange juice, apple slices 
  • Tamale Pie (ATKFC, p. 418), frozen veggies
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu (ATKFC, p. 360), mashed potatoes, watermelon
  • Roast Beef Sandwiches, homemade buns, watermelon, rice
  • Soup and Bread sticks (we had it last night at a ward function. hooray for not cooking!)
  • Taco Salad

Need to Buy:
  • dried black beans (I make a ton at once in my crock pot and then freeze them. WAY cheaper then canned and WAY better with all the seasonings we throw in. Thanks Alicia!)

Notice the extremely short list of stuff I need to buy for dinners? That's because I buy stuff when it's really cheap and base my menus on what I already have. I also cook from scratch a lot, which helps cut down costs. Bread items really add up and only take some planning, especially with a bread maker.

Sorry, Sam's yelling, yelling, yelling for attention. Got to go!

5 comments:

  1. You are so awesome for making a weekly menu. I REALLY need to do that. Right now, I wait until about 4pm and then I start wondering what I'm going to make for dinner. It's a bit stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get your beans? I am totally out of beans right now, do you just grab a bag at the cannery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about homemade hamburger buns. Really? Are they a ton of work? How do they compare to what you buy in the store? I've been making some of our bread and I'm getting pretty good at it by now. But I don't have a big mixer or a bread machine ... So I haven't switched over to completely homemade yet. Do your really do all your bread products? That's amazing. You're making me think that maybe I should try it. Will you send me your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuffed French toast was soooooo good! MMMM. Joy made it for dinner last night with home made bread. Oh my delicious! -Matt-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke- I haven't been able to get black beans from the cannery. I just get my beans from Walmart. They're a little over a buck for 1 lb. I do 2 pounds at once in my big old crockpot. For like $2.20sh I get a TON of beans.
    Garn- I haven't found a bun recipe I love. I keep trying different ones I find but... If you find a good one, let me know. As far as making all our bread, I really do try because I'm such a cheapy, but what that usually means is that we don't have a lot of bread hanging out. I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete