Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cheap-o White Sauce aka: Using Up Some Cream Cheese

I have a few blocks of cream cheese that I got for free from Smiths a few weeks back. I love that cream cheese has a poll date like 4 months away. Yikes. What's in that stuff?

Anyways, I'm on the look out for recipes to use it. My brilliant sis-in-law Casey made a great white sauce (translation: fake alfredo) at our family reunion. Guess what it calls for: cream cheese! Hooray! You could totally use this as a pizza sauce, a dip for breadsticks, or serve it over pasta like I did last night. I have made a few changes, sorry Casey!, adding more calories. Mmm.

I just can't figure out why I can't loose that baby weight...


Caseys White Sauce that Joy Tweaked
(official name)

Ingredients:
clove or two minced garlic (or some garlic powder)
4 T butter
1 c chicken broth (or 1 cube bouillon with 1 c water)
2 T flour
1/3 c cream cheese
3-4 T parmesan
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste


Directions: (watch out- this is super hard)
1. In a saucepan, saute the garlic in the melted butter over medium high heat.
2. Mix in flour then broth.
3. Add in cream cheese. Stir until combined.
4. Throw in the parmesan. Live a little.
5. Season to taste.
6. Eat, eat, eat.

I grilled chicken the other day and had some left over so I threw that on top. By the way, I have recently discovered the beauty of marinade packets. Love them. And I tend to get them free, so it's a good situation.

But that's totally off topic. Sorry.

I served it with breadtwists and strawberry limeade, both of which were delicious. Sam (my 2 year old) took one sip of the limeade and said, "Sour. Nasty." Can't win them all, I guess.

I meant to make the garlic spinach too but ran out of time. Plus both boys were NOT having a good day. That would be an understatement. We were lucky to not be eating Mac & Cheese.

1 comment: