Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Beef Stroganoff: This is Good.

I've tried a few stroganoff recipes in my day and they've all been fine, but this recipe I made tonight was Good. Real Good.

I have got to start menu planning lighter foods because when they turn out good I cannot stop eating them. I'm afraid I am going the wrong direction in my weight loss. No surprise.

Anyways, I tweaked this recipe from allrecipe.

This is so not my picture. I didn't think to take one until everything was in baggies and the natural light was gone. Let's just say my picture did not turn out very attractive.


Beef Stroganoff: My El Guapo

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound beef top sirloin steak (original calls for chuck roast)
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water and 1 tsp beef granules
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • couple Tbsp butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 4 Tbsp flour
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth or 1 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 tsp beef granules
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 6 ounces canned sliced mushrooms, drained or fresh ones, if that's what you have (Matt is not a mushroom fan so we left this out. Too bad. I am on Team Mushrooms)
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup cream cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Marinade beef in Worcestershire, garlic, and 1 c beef broth for a few hours in the fridge. I like to marinade in a gallon baggy on top of a plate.
  2. Pull the meat out of the baggy (don't throw away the marinade!), remove any fat from the meat and cut into real thin strips about 2 inches long. Season with 1/2 tsp on salt and pepper.
  3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly then pull them out and put them on a plate or large bowl. Don't be nervous with all the liquid in the pan- this is good. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add them to the beef.
  4. Stir the flour into the juices. Pour in beef broth and marinade left in the baggy and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and stir in mustard.
  5. Cover and simmer for an hour or so or until tender. If you want to really be wowed, at this point throw it all in a crock pot on low for a few hours to get super tender meat.
  6. 5 minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and cream cheese. Heat then salt and pepper to taste. I also added a dash or two of garlic powder because we like our garlic around here.
Serve over egg noodles.

Serves 6-8, depending on how gluttonous you are. Want to guess how many servings it made for us?

Ease of Preparation: B+
  • This was not hard, but it took some time.
  • I guess I've got to burn off those calories some how.

Taste: A-
  • The flavor was really yummy but I wished the meat was a bit more tender which is why I suggested throwing it all in the crock pot to simmer for a few hours. If the meat had been a bit softer this would be an A for sure.

Overall: A- (but a high A-, almost an A!)

No comments:

Post a Comment