Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Am I in Shrimp Heaven?

Oh. My. Goodness.

This shrimp was delicious. Delicious. Did I mention it was Delicious?

Because it was Delicious.

If you have this stuff to make this, do it now. You will wonder why any other recipe involving shrimp exists (except maybe Coconut Shrimp- come on, it's like fried candy!)

I basically made this recipe here from allrecipes but tweaked it a little- shocker, I know- for what I had on hand.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 c chopped fresh parsley or a couple Tbsp dried
  • 1 lemon, juiced or 2-3 Tbsp bottled
  • 2 Tbsp tabasco sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • skewers (I grilled 1/2 of this last night and the rest today for lunch and used 3 very full skewers both times)
Directions:
  1. In a gallon baggy, mix everything besides the shrimp together. Reserve a small amount, a few Tbsps, for basting later. Add shrimp, seal, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  2. Preheat grill for medium-low heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade.
  3. Grill those yummy little guys for about 5 minutes per side or until opaque (wow. that's a fancy word), basting frequently with the reserved marinade. Or twice if you're me.
I served it over white rice and it was perfect. The original recipe says pasta, so whatever floats your boat will work. We had it with Alton Brown's Oven Roasted Broccoli, a loaf of bread that's new to me that will add another 5 pounds to my hips that I will post about later, and another limeade drink. I really did not want to stop eating. Matt even did the dishes last night! Who needs restaurants?


Recipe Review:

Ease of Preparation: B+
  • Anything involving shrimp just takes longer. My shrimp were deveined, but I still had to remove the shell and tails on each one and that just plum takes time. Maybe if I were to actually get the large shrimp instead of these little things? Huh.
  • After that though it goes really fast.

Taste: A+
  • Matt has dubbed these "The Best Shrimp I Have Ever Had." This is big. I tend to agree, excluding the afore-mentioned Coconut Shrimp with which I have an unnaturally strong affection.
Overall: A
  • The only thing I would warn you about is the tabasco sauce. I'm a medium salsa lover and I could definitely taste that tabasco. It wasn't hot for me but if you're a ketchup-salsa kind of person (Mom) then you might want to think about decreasing the tabasco by a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm this almost makes me want to eat shrimp. Almost. :)

    ReplyDelete