Tuesday, August 24, 2010

WInco = Bulk Food Heaven

I might have had the funnest time in the bulk foods section at Winco yesterday. It is like a dream, all of those bins filled with super cheap wonderfulness.


Total Spent: $24.19

5 things I would like to point out in regards to the bulk section:
  1. All of those bay leaves cost me $.04. Nice.
  2. That 5 lb bag of dog food cost me $1.56.
  3. I bought Quinoa. What is quinoa? I have no idea. My little sister said it was good for me and I could use it like rice and I got a bit swept up in the moment. I'll give it a shot. Any of you know how to say "quinoa?" She told me but I cannot remember. How about eaten some? Any ideas?
  4. Have you ever tried dried mangos? They are Good, mostly because they are covered in sugar so it's a total health food.
  5. The honey was cheaper on the shelf than it was from the bee hives in bulk (No, I'm not kidding. They have bee hives. They have EVERYTHING back there, except curry paste apparently, darn it all.)

Money Left for the Month: $101.33

2 comments:

  1. Joy, you are a total crack up. :) I've been told to say quinoa, "king-wah." Not totally sure if that's correct, but it's how I say it. Mostly we just call it bird seed cuz that's what it looks like. As for how to eat it... we like it as hot cereal with brown sugar. Delish. I've also used this recipe: ooo-kay. Just kidding about that -- apparently the site where the recipe was is no longer working. BUt here's another one that I'd like to try: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

    Good luck! Wish there was a Winco here!
    Lisa LaPierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those dried mangoes. They're awesome. Especially in muffins with crasins, Yum.

    ReplyDelete