Friday, October 23, 2009

WIC: my new best friend


With Matt going back to school to get his Masters and working part time, our monthly income has definitely shrunk. In looking into options, we discovered a great government program called WIC (women, infants, and children) that provides FREE FOOD for those that qualify. Lovely. Qualifying basically means you don't make a ton of money. I was surprised at that amount; they base it off of how many people are in your home (including unborn children) and how much money you bring in every month.

Let's just say we more than qualified yesterday.

We get little vouchers that kind of look like checks that I just hand over to the cashier when I check out and pay absolutely nothing.

We will get so much free milk, eggs, tortillas/rice/bread, beans, cereal, peanut butter, juice, and fresh produce.

After I have the baby we will also get cheese and eventually baby food. They also provide formula for those that don't nurse.

This was a difficult decision to go on WIC and receive help, but that's what it is for. I would encourage any of you that are struggling to make ends meet to look into this program and see if it would work for you. If you're in Utah, here's the link to their site.

Ok, so what does this mean for this blog? It means that starting in November I will be reducing my monthly total to $150. Just in time for all of the holiday baking sales. We'll see how that goes. I will still post everything I get at the store, coupon/super sale bought and WIC bought. We'll give this all a whirl and see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot of people that have used WIC and it worked really well for them. I'm glad you found something to help. Now if I could just find some place to help with house cleaning... ;)

    ReplyDelete