Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baking Day

I thought I would do a little food prep today. I probably shouldn't have labeled this post as "Baking Day" since I am not so much planning on much baking. Oh well.

Here's the plan and we'll see what I get done.
  • cook and shred 5 lbs chicken, freeze in 1 lb increments to use in future recipes
  • cook couple pounds (dried) pinto beans, freeze in 2 cup increments
  • grind wheat flour
  • make a loaf of bread, freeze
  • Make pita pockets, freeze
  • make strawberry jam from the frozen strawberries I bought back in April at $.89/lb.
  • make chicken tetrazinni, freeze
  • make Mexican Lasagna for dinner
  • make lazy granola before I go to bed to be ready in the morning
Just typing this makes me feel tired, especially since Sam woke up on the grumpy side of the crib this morning, and an hour early at that!

All of the linked recipes are new to me. We love that darn variety here at this house. I'll let you know what I think of them.

3 comments:

  1. I really need to do a "baking day" but our freezer is so small. I can't fit much in it. Do you have a separate freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Crystal at Money Saving Mom has inspired so many of us to do baking days of our own. I have been doing one here in Massachusetts- and am adding the lazy granola recipe I didn't know existed- but because of your site I am doing it. Thanks Joy- you're awesome! And good luck with that. I also have a hard time looking at your site now because you get produce for so DANG cheap! Seriously, apples- 99 cents a pound is cheap for us out here. I cried that I couldn't do any applesauce or anything like that this year because it was so expensive. Oh well, someday when we don't live in crazy expensive land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, we do have a chest freezer that we got last year from Sam's Club. I love that I have more space but I HATE chest freezers, or the black hole as I like to call it. I have everything separated into cloth grocery bags which helps but you still have to pull everything out to get to that sausage at the bottom of the freezer.

    Brooke, I miss you! I SO miss your blog. You found me more deals... Sorry about expensive produce. One day we'll all be rich and pay someone to shop for us.

    ReplyDelete