Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Buns: Now THAT is a good word.

I seem to be on an eternal hunt for the best bread recipes. This recipe here from allrecipes is my current bun recipe. I'm a pretty big fan of it, although I did make a few changes this time that I liked.


Soft Sandwich Buns
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • *1/4 c wheat germ
    • *2 heaping T dough enhancer
  • 3 3/4 cups bread flour (I used all-purpose)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

* Totally optional. This was my first time putting these in and I've made this recipe lots.

Directions

  1. In bread machine pan, place the first 9 ingredients in the order listed. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
  2. If you don't have a breadmaker then put the warm milk, sugar, and yeast in a bowl for about 5 minutes until foamy, add the rest of the ingredients, knead and let rise until doubled. Make sure the milk is not hot or cold but warm as it will kill the yeast.
  3. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. You're going to make 12 buns here so I like to divide dough in half (6 buns from each 1/2). Divide each half in half again (3 buns from each). Now divide each into 3. Form them into rounds.
  4. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush tops with melted butter. (why do I always forget the butter? )
  5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Don't under bake- I tend to make this mistake. Make sure the tops are darkly browned or the bottoms will get all soggy.
  7. Immediately remove to a cooling rack or again, soggy buns. Nobody wants that.


Mmmm. Nothing quite like fresh bread.

4 comments:

  1. Have I told you that I REALLY like your buns? Because I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha.

    Aren't you supposed to be in class right now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that we talk more on your blog than we do at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a strange thread to read... In other news, I'm gonna try this tomorrow. I'll be the judge of how good Joy's buns are.

    ReplyDelete