Friday, January 22, 2010

Monsters: aka German Pancakes

So we had one of those great Throw-it-Together-Real-Quick meals last night and I thought I'd go ahead and share. Aren't you so glad?

These are Monsters (or German Pancakes to the rest of the English speaking world) and I would officially like to thank the Cramers from back in our newly-wed days for introducing us to this spooky friend. They are super easy, super fast, and the ingredients are staples. Perfect! Plus, they are pretty fun to watch cook.

Um, the Monsters are actually the stuff on the top right, although both the yogurt and potatoes look pretty scary too. I guess photography is a talent I need to develop. (that was SO dumb. sorry.)


These are a staple to our Breakfast-for-Dinner rotation at our house.

Tammy's Monsters

6 tablespoons butter/margarine
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
- preheat oven to 450
- slice up the butter into 6 chunks and put in a 9 x 13 pan
- mix all the rest of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until smooth
- when the oven has warmed up, put the pan in and melt the butter
- remove pan and add batter. Don't mix the butter and batter. (well, that's fun to say!)
- bake for 15 minutes. My original recipe says 18 minutes, but they burn if I cook them that long. (don't open the oven to peek!). This step is why it's called Monsters. Flip on your oven light and watch the last few minutes. You'll know when they're done because the edges will be browned. Don't worry when they flatten down when you take them out of the oven.
- serves 6 (unless you're gluttons, like us. Then it serves 3). serve immediately. We put syrup over it. Matt likes to put peanut butter on it first and then the syrup.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Joy! We are trying this tonight :) I hope you don't think i'm a dork because i'm a faithful reader of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made the monster pancakes with my daughter. She was amazed! I have been cooking for 27 years and I became bored about a year age, about the time I found your blog. I try almost all of your recipes and have found it fun to cook again. Thank you for taking time to inspire others. I also use many of the coupon deals you post and my children (25, 23, 20, 19, and 9) think I am amazing and talented because of the deals I get. I just smile and say thank you, but I want to make sure and thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I found we are gluttons too!

    ReplyDelete