Thursday, January 7, 2010

homemade tortillas

Yes, an actual shot of my little beauties. Notice how many different sizes you can see.
That's how you know I'm a "professional."

If you're a bread person like me then you may want to try out making your own tortillas. YUM. Yes, they do require some work, but hey! I'm counting making these today as a "workout." My OB would be so proud. Speaking of which, you should see my growth chart from after the holidays. Yikes.

Anyways, here's the recipe I've been using. I used to use one that had baking powder in it and couldn't figure out why the blasted things kept puffing up so big. I got this basic one from my step-mother-in-law who is a fabulous cook.

Ana's Tortillas

  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup warm water

I throw this all in my mixer and it makes this super easy. Mix the flour and salt. Add the shortening and mix until tiny balls have formed. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together. Let rest for 20 minutes. (this is the hardest part for me because I just want to get going on them, but the rest time is apparently important)

This is the time consuming part. After the dough has rested, break off small chunks and form into a ball. A little goes a long ways. Roll out until the dough is almost transparent. No worries if they aren't perfectly round. Nothing says "love" more than imperfection. Cook on medium heat on a large fry pan, flipping when bubbles form. The second side cooks in a few seconds, so don't go anywhere.

This makes about 16 tortillas, depending on how big you make them. Mine were a little bigger than taco sized. I throw any leftovers in a big baggy and freeze them for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment