Monday, January 11, 2010

3 Beans and Sausage YUM

So both Matt and I were very pleasantly surprised by this meal. It was WAY better than we thought it would be. I got it from the 2007 Taste of Home Quick Cooking book. And yes, that is a picture of my actual meal.


1 1/2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup water
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2/3 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-4 1/2 hours. Discard the bay leaf. Serve over rice.

Yields: 8 servings


Ease of Preparation: A
- pretty easy. Gotta love the crock pot! Threw it all in before we went to church and had dinner all ready to go when we got back. nice.

Taste: A- (Matt and I agreed)

Overall: A-

I did make a few changes. (shocker, I know) I used different beans then the recipe called for: black and pinto beans from the freezer that were seasoned so I'm not sure how much of their flavor added to this. I also used garbanzo beans because that is what I had. I didn't have celery, so I threw in some celery salt.

This was a great way to use up some of the sausage from the freezer I buy when it's close to the expiration date and on clearance.

We had this with homemade wheat bread. It was very filling, I'll tell you what. I'd make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment