Friday, January 29, 2010

homemade croutons


I LOVE homemade croutons. I usually make a bit more than I need just so I can snack on a few. They are super easy, way cheaper than store bought, and WAY better.

Watch out with this 'recipe' though because there is nothing exact about it. That's what I like about it. That, and there's butter involved.

Start with bread. This can be anything. I used to buy french bread from Walmart with everything on it (all the toppings like poppy seeds, garlic, and other good stuff). If I ever have leftover homemade bread that's going to go bad, this is the perfect use. Sandwich bread works in a pinch. You can really use any bread, but the better the bread, the more delicious the croutons tend to be.

Then I cut it up into little squares, about an inch each, no worries about being exact.

At this point you can use them now or put them into a big freezer baggy and freeze until you need them. Just pull out as many as you need, put them in a smaller bag with some melted butter or margarine and whatever seasonings you want. I usually just throw in some salt and sometimes some garlic powder. Shake them up until they are all covered with butter and bake them on a cookie sheet at 375 until they are crunchy. Stir them around once or twice while they are cooking.

That's it. Yummy. Crunchy butter bread. Who needs the salad?




No comments:

Post a Comment