Wednesday, April 29, 2009

4/29 Menu

Here's the menu for the week. By the way, did you notice there was no picture of the chicken from Buy Low on Friday? Me too. The problem was that it didn't get bought. Now I don't want to blame anyone or point any fingers, but can I just say that if MY wife were out of town, I would make a very quick trip to the store to pick up a staple she asked me very nicely to get so she could make me delicious dinners, especially if there was NO WAY for her to be able to get the chicken herself, since it was a one-day sale. But that's just me. 

FYI: we ended up doing a substitution last night because there WAS NO CHICKEN BREAST. (not that I even noticed or anything...)  We had grilled sausage on rice pilaf. 

Notice that I hardly need to buy anything for the dinners I plan. Instead, I am using my money to buy things that are on super sale. That helps my money go so much farther!

Anyways, on to the menu:
* BBQ hamburgers, homemade buns, homemade fries, grapes
* Pan-seared tilapia with herb butter sauce (Cooks Country aug '08, p.16), broccoli, harvest grains
* Mexican-Style Skillet Vermicelli (Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, p.246), Corn
* Blueberry pancakes (ATKFC p. 272), sausage, eggs
* Roast with root veggies (ATKFC p. 408), canned peaches
* Ham and Cheese roll, yogurt, mixed veggies

Need:
* cilantro $.33/bunch- maceys or $.50/bunch- sunflower market
* eggs $1.79 18 ct- smiths or $.98 12 ct- reams
* grapes $.77/lb- sunflower market

Just so you know, I'm not going to those stores just for the above items. My time is worth more than that. I have multiple good deals to snag at each of these stores.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you put your week menu on here. I have 9 weekly menus that I have premade with a list of every ingredient so I just go through my cabinets and cross off the stuff I already have and buy what I don't have. It's nice cause we only have to have a duplicate meal about 4 times a year but I am working on making more weekly menus. SO my point is the Americas Test Kitchen cookbook looks like you use it alot does this mean that the food are pretty quick and easy? Im looking for a new cookbook that has a good variety of foods, including healthy stuff:) PLease let me know if you think this would be a good one for what I'm looking for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick and Easy? No. Pretty darn good? Yes. Some of the recipes are labeled "fast" and don't take too much time. The recipes from this cookbook tend to be a bit more involved, but when I spend the effort and money to make dinner I want it to taste good. We are particular here at the Chantry home, some more than others, and we have loved everything we've made out of this book. The nice thing is that I know everything's going to be good so I'm more adventurous with the recipes I choose.

    Also, Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country magazines are by the same company. They do that tv show: America's Test Kitchen.

    I just love these books. They tell you the story of your recipe- what they've tried that doesn't work or that does- and teach you how to be a better cook.

    Golly, I should get a commission from them!

    Great idea with the premade menus! I HATE coming up with a menu. blah.

    ReplyDelete