Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oil: the Staple of Life

Ok, I just have to do a public service announcement to tell you all how delicious the last 2 meals we've eaten have been. Brag, brag, brag.

Artichokes are on a great sale at Buy Low for $.79 through Tuesday and I wanted to make something a little different then the boil-them-forever-and-then-dip-the-leaves-in-salted-butter meal, which is so good too.

I have to give this recipe here an A. First you half them, boil them for 15 minutes, and then BBQ them while basting them with this delicious olive oil/lemon/garlic sauce. Mmmm. They are just good. If you don't have a BBQ then there are some comments in the recipe that talk about broiling them in the oven.

How could this not be good? BBQed and slathered in garlic oil? That's a sure fire recipe for goodness if I've ever heard of one.



This Sesame Chicken turned out awesome, better than most Chinese restaurants for sure. I'm really excited about this new blog, BlogChef, that my little sis introduced me to. After having this chicken I can't wait to try other stuff she has posted, which is mostly Asian and Mexican. FYI: BlogChef has been added to my Recipe Blog list to the right.


This is another A meal in my book. It's really pretty easy: slice up the chicken, let it marinate for 1/2 hour while you get everything else ready, mix up the batter, mix up the sauce, batter the chicken, fry it, pour the sauce on and eat, eat, eat.

A couple things on it: the "marinade" is not what I think of as a marinade. It took me reading the recipe a few time to be convinced that I wasn't missing a bunch of liquid. It's just not very much of anything but it worked.

Also, next time I would double the sauce. I used a pound of chicken and while there was enough to coat the meat, I just wanted some sauce for my rice. I also threw in a dash of sesame oil in this to give it a bit more sesame flavor. I love that sesame oil- it is so yummy!


So what I'm saying here in this post is that I'm sure I've put on 5 pounds in the last 2 days but it was totally worth it. Where would the world be without oil? I shudder to think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment