Saturday, December 5, 2009

meat and cheese wrap ups

I didn't get a picture of mine yesterday! Sorry! I swore I took one...
this is the one from the recipe.

We had the stromboli last night and I think this recipe was pretty darn good. I ended up using the "complicated" one (by moneysavingmom standards) that wasn't hard at all. In the past, I have let the wrap ups do a 2nd rise, which is kind of gross since there is lunch meat inside, but whatever. I like having the bread thinner, so I'll be doing it this way from now on.
I doubled this and brought most of it with me to a party where it was completely eaten and a few people asked for the recipe, so I think they pretty well liked it.


I did tweak the recipe a bit by putting mayo and mustard on top of the dough before adding the meat, like a cooked sandwich. I used ham, turkey, salami, pepperoni, and an italian blend of cheese.

Ease of Preparation: B+
- for a bread meal, this wasn't bad at all. One rise is awesome. Like anything involving bread, it took planning ahead and did take some work rolling it out and assembling it, but it really wasn't hard. I like that I can put what ever meats, or heaven forbid, veggies I want in it, just like pizza.


Taste: B- (Matt) A- (Joy)
- Matt has never really liked stromboli but found this recipe better than past attempts because of the thinness of the bread, although he loves bread. He has a hard time putting his finger on what he doesn't really care for and finally settled on the mayo/mustard thing. He likes pizza, he like cold sandwiches, he likes all the meats. Next time I make this he suggested putting marinara sauce on it, or maybe nothing at all like the recipe says.
- I think this was pretty good and think Matt is a picky, picky eater (which he really, truly is- ask his mom!) I like the mayo/mustard combo because it makes this seem less like pizza or calzones which we seem to have quite regularly, but Matt has much better taste than me so I'm willing to give it a try.
- Sam (almost 2) really liked it.


Other:
- this sure looks pretty with its really light egg wash and sesame seeds!
- it's a nice meal because you can serve it hot or cold.


Overall: B+
I will make this again. Maybe Matt will learn to love it?

No comments:

Post a Comment